Reflection On Critique

Examination of the comments I received:

I was complemented on my use of the spotlight, and how it was parented to the camera.  It created a dark area around the camera with the light focused on one spot.  I also received comments on the way that the camera jumps at the end of the animation.  It's a very sudden camera change, and isn't really necessary since the animation feels a bit choppy at the end.  In addition, people liked the timing and spacing of the axe, and some of the camera techniques I used in the animation.  Such as lowering the camera into the scene, and doing a zolly to make it seem like the camera was moving faster. 

Reflect on what you feel you did best:

I feel that one of my main strengths in my animation was the lighting.  The lighting created a very ominous feel, since I wanted to seem as if someone was moving down a corridor.  I used a spotlight, which was parented to the camera, to create a light somewhat like a flashlight, in which you can see in front of you but you can't see what's in your peripherals.  Another thing I thought that I did well was using a zolly to make it seem like the camera was moving faster, or something was about to happen.  Then once the camera slowed down, and the tempo of the animation seemed more relaxing, the axe suddenly swings into the camera.  This sudden change in pace in the animation creates more uneasiness and tension with the viewers

Reflect on what your classmates said you did well:

My classmates enjoyed how I lit the scene using a spotlight, since it added to the tension of the animation.  They also said that they thought the axe swinging was realistic.  Furthermore, they liked the sudden change near the end of the animation, which helped create more tension and uneasiness with the viewers.

Reflect on what you need to improve on:

I think that while my idea was good, my set design was lacking.  There were some design principles like leading lines, and at the end informal balance.  However, I could have incorporated more.  Finally, I think that the camera's sudden jump at the end of the animation makes it feel choppy and should be changed or removed.

Reflect on what your classmates suggested you improve upon:

My classmates thought that when I used principles of design they were incorporated well, but there weren't enough of them.  I could've made something such as a dim light on the walls to create repetition, and unity.  In addition, they thought that the camera jump at the end should be removed, and even though I wanted to watch the animation play out in full, in the end it seemed choppy.

Strengths and Weaknesses:

I think that I need to use more principles of designs when I create animations.  My set design was pretty plain and small, so it was hard to incorporate a lot of them.  If I can make a better set design I'll be able to incorporate more principles of design and perhaps create a better story.

I think that some of my strengths in this animation were the use of lighting and camera movements to set a mood.  I think that in future animations if I can incorporate this again it will make them much better, as it did in this animation.

Comments

Popular Posts